This post comes courtesy of My Fabulous Mama owner, baby-planner, postpartum doula, and Center City mom of three Marisa Piccarreto. We asked her to dish on her favorite gift ideas for new and expectant mamas … and she delivered.
Every expectant and new mom needs to be spoiled a little — they’re dealing with sleep deprivation, spit-up, weight gain, insomnia, swollen feet, discomfort … if you are a mom, then you get it! As I was researching gifts to put in this post I kept getting suggestions on gifts that are really for the baby. But below are some of my favorite gifts that pamper mom … and you can buy a bunch of them as last minute gifts, right here in Philly!
1. Home Appetit Meal Delivery. What could be better for the wellness-minded mom than a few weeks of fresh meal delivery service? Home Appetit’s chef posts a new menu each Thursday, from which clients order a variety of professionally prepared dishes to get them through the busy week. Use the code “MFMHolidayList” for your holiday order. $100/week 1 person, $150 per couple.
2. Sakura Bloom Classic Baby Sling. This carrier blends fashion and function for the chic city mama. This beautifully made linen sling is naturally antibacterial, cool to wear, lightweight and easy to adjust. (The Cedar and Twilight colors are my favorite, personally … and they can be worn by both dad and mom!) These are sold locally here in Philly at Cloth on Passyunk Avenue. All of Cloth’s employees are very knowledgeable about babywearing instruction and additionally they have a babywearing expert available every Sunday! $98.
3. Biologique Recherche Lotion P 50. One of the greatest gifts you can give a mom is a gift that makes beauty simple. Appropriate for all skin types, this product is a great add-on for the beauty junkie or for the woman who is more of a minimalist. Danuta Mieloch, owner of Rescue Spa refers to this “as a magic potion that does it all. Exfoliates, hydrates and balances the pH of the skin, it’s a prep step before any skin care.” (If a woman is pregnant or nursing, though, she should use the regular p50 and not the p50 1970.)
4. doTerra Balance Essential Oil. This is a must-have for the mom who loves holistic products. Using essential oils can be very grounding for the mother and baby, and promotes whole-body relaxation. Mom can put it on herself, and the baby will benefit. $27 at Mama’s Wellness Joint.
5. Mothers-in-Waiting Prenatal Massage at Eviama Life Spa. Eviama uses a “whole picture” approach that is completely customized the mommy-to-be. 55 minutes is $106.
6. Postpartum Doula Support. Postpartum doulas care for the mother and family in the home in the three months following birth. Doulas provide non-medical support and companionship, using evidence based information and mothering the mother. This is a wonderful gift to give a family — an extra set of hands, practical on-the-spot education, and the peace of mind to know help is on the way! At My Fabulous Mama, gift certificates of any denomination are available online, by phone or in store.
7. Organic Mani and Pedi Package. Best of Philly winner Mi Cumbia strives for excellence in organic nail care for the natural mom! Their tropical passport package is described as “prenatal focused” and includes a coconut manicure (30min), coconut pedicure (45min) and a mango foot massage (15min). $101.
8. Mama’s Wellness Joint Prenatal Yoga — a 5, 10, 15 or 20 Class Card. Serenity and a beautiful space – Mama’s MWJ offers daily prenatal yoga classes, the most of any studio in the Philly! What I love about their classes that I haven’t found anywhere else is that they are carefully designed for both the seasoned yogi while still caring for the beginner. Class cards begin at $75 for 5 classes.
9. Oemi Baby Diaper Bag. This gorgeous grey aniline leather bag is one of the most sleek yet functional diaper bags that I have found! There’s a stain-resistant interior, and interior and exterior pockets — at first glance it looks like a designer handbag. $295 at My Fabulous Mama.
10. New Mama Bucket with Infinity Scarf. I love these easy to order gift buckets that Ali’s Wagon has put together! This collection includes “some nice touches for the new mom to care for herself” (lip balm, snack bag and lavender dusting powder, for instance) and an infinity scarf that helps pull together any look. $62.