This post comes courtesy of Wee friend, registered dietitian, chef and mom Katie Cavuto.
Nothing warms the chills of winter better than hot cocoa! But considering the less-than-healthy options on supermarket shelves (hello sugar and artificial ingredients), I decided to whip up an easy DIY cocoa recipe you can feel good about giving your kiddo … and yourself!
What you’ll need:
- 4 cups organic unsweetened almond or coconut milk (look for brands without carrageenan)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup unsweetened organic dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup B maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
What you’ll do:
- Heat milk and cinnamon in a saucepan to a simmer (no need to boil) for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and remove cinnamon stick.
- Whisk in cocoa, maple syrup and salt until dissolved.
- Serve in 4 festive cups.
*optional: top cocoa with natural marshmallows for an added treat
About our author: Katie Cavuto is the official dietitian of the Philadelphia Phillies and the Flyers, as well as a chef, writer and nutrition expert who offers corporate and private nutrition counseling and cooking classes. She’s also a local and regional TV and media personality whose writing and voice has appeared in foodnetwork.com, Parents Magazine, O, the Oprah Magazine, Philadelphia magazine, and Women’s Health (among other publications). Katie also plays the role of mom — her son Hudson is four. For more healthy living inspiration visit her blog Nourish.Breathe.Thrive. You can also follow her on social media @katiecavutord.